Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Valentine Red Hearts Cake

Valentine Red Hearts Cake - Decorating Tutorial
by Fay at The Useless Cook

  My blog is not called The Useless Cook for nothing. I enjoy trying out new recipes and creating things from ideas I have but they do not always turn out to look the way I intended. I hope to improve with both the finished look and with my photography as the blog goes on.

This tutorial is about decorating more then a recipe. I was given a cute small heart shaped cake tin and I wanted to make something for Valentines Day. This cake decoration would be perfect for an engagement party or for a wedding as well.
I made the cake from a box but if you prefer use your favorite plain cake recipe.
I sprayed the heart tin with spray oil and dusted it with flour. I then placed a piece of parchment baking paper under the tin and traced around the shape, cut the shape and then line the bottom of the tin. It makes removing the baked cake a lot easier. I didn't need to do any prep work to the silicone hearts molds.
Fill your tin/s with the cake batter. Becareful not to over fill.
  I decided to cover the cakes with chocolate ganache whic I made in a bowl placed over steaming water. I used cream and dark chocolate. Becareful not to burn yourself or the ganache.
 
 

In the photo below, I gathered my decorating supplies.
I bought Ready To Roll Coloured Fondant. It was so easy to work with and because I only needed a small amount, I thought this was the best product to use. I also bought a Acrylic Rolling Pin, Fire Red Edible Glitter Dust. I already had the heart shape cutters and heart shape punches.
 I dusted the surface of my board with Corn Flour.
 
 
 
 I wanted to creat a wimsical look on the main cake. I could have done it better!
 I am sorry that you can't see the glitter on the hearts in my photos.
 
 
 
 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment